How much does it cost to fix BMW timing chain?
The Best in Auto Repair
The average cost for a BMW 328i timing chain tensioner replacement is between $822 and $972. Labor costs are estimated between $574 and $724 while parts are priced at $249. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your specific model year or unique location.
How long should a BMW timing chain last?
Your timing chain should last 200,000 miles with proper care.To avoid needing a BMW Timing Chain Repair keep the proper approved 100% synthetic clean. If the chain tensioner fails,the chain will be slack and the car might run, but poorly.
How much does it cost to fix a timing chain?
It’s great that you’re being proactive—a failed timing chain can lead to serious engine damage! Timing chain replacement can cost between $413 and $1,040. The cost is high due to the complicated nature of replacing this part. If you want to DIY a timing chain replacement, the parts will cost $88 to $245.
Which BMW has timing chain Problems?
The BMW X5 330D 3.0 diesel engine suffers from the problem of timing chain. In these engines, the crankshaft sprockets also cause severe damage to the timing chain if misaligned, and result in many engine problems.
Is it worth replacing timing chain BMW?
BMW and MINI use Timing Chains in almost every model of engine that they produce.It is recommended to replace your timing chain before failure as repair prices can become very high from internal engine damage. From experience the life of these timing chains are 90,000 miles or 9 years.
Will BMW fix my timing chain?
BMW techs will perform a test procedure to determine the if the issues occurs with that particular engine. If needed, the dealers will replace the chains, along with all accompanying hardware.
Is it worth fixing a timing chain?
A timing chain doesn’t need to be replaced unless there is a problem with it. Is the timing chain immune to mechanical failures? The simple answer is No, it is not. Timing chain problems are not uncommon, especially in high-mileage vehicles.
How do I know if my timing chain is bad on my BMW?
Symptoms of Your BMW’s Failing Timing Chain
- Rough idling: Start up your car and set out of it. …
- Unusual noises: Especially when idling, but not just when idling, you may hear your engine rattle. …
- Metal shavings in oil: The timing chain will wear out over time.
What are symptoms of timing chain Problems?
These signs include:
- Rattling Sound on Starting the Engine or Idling. A common finding in a vehicle with a bad timing chain is unusual rattling noise when the engine is started or when brakes are engaged. …
- Misfiring Engine. …
- Contaminated Engine Oil. …
- Check Engine Light. …
- Inability to Start the Engine.
What happens when timing chain breaks BMW?
What Happens When A Timing Chain Snaps? When a BMW engine timing chain snaps, the inlet and exhaust valves collide with the pistons, resulting in massive engine damage. At this point it will bend all 16 valves, shatter the rocker arms, snap and distort both camshafts and the camshaft housing.
Will a broken timing chain destroy my engine?
A broken timing chain will cause an engine to not start or fail while driving. If the belt is already broken, the engine won’t have enough compression to start. If it breaks or jumps while driving, the pistons will be damaged from contact with the valves. The valves themselves will bend and potentially ruin the engine.
How long does it take to replace a timing chain?
5 to 8 hours
Overall, replacing the timing chain and its associated hardware should take a qualified mechanic 5 to 8 hours to complete.
What causes timing chain to go bad?
A timing chain can break with either too much or not enough tension. … This can result in the chain “slapping,” leading to premature fatigue. A chain with too much tension can also fail, as it is placed under excessive stress. Tension increases friction and heat in the chain, which can result in failure.
How do I test a timing chain?
When you look down inside on the front of the crankshaft pulley you can see I painted a white line here so it's easy to read when you flash the light on it. Now you can see with the light flashing.
How do I know if my timing chain needs to be replaced?
What are the symptoms of a bad timing chain?
- The engine misfires. Once a timing chain is stretched and has lost its integrity, the chain may skip a gear and lose the necessary coordination leading to an engine misfire. …
- There is a rattling sound. …
- Check your car’s oil for metal shavings.
Will check engine light come on for timing chain?
1. illuminated check engine light: the car’s computer monitors engine operation to ensure emissions don’t get too high. a stretched timing chain will hurt engine performance and increase emissions. if this happens, the computer will turn on the check engine light and store a diagnostic trouble code.